The “Black Mamba” (aka Kobe Bryant) finished his final season of his career yesterday and EVERYONE is talking about it. He went out in style, and hats off to an amazingly talented superstar.
But do you know who else is a hero at what they do? Moms, that’s who. I’m going on year two of being a mom to my sweet little boy, Oliver. And I have to tell you that Mother’s Day means so much more to me now than it ever has before. Sure, I spoiled my mom rotten most years, and boy did she deserve it. But the past two years have really made me stop and reflect on all the sleep deprivation, grey hair accumulation, back-breaking, baby-wearing journey of motherhood. And as I’m sure every mother can relate, I wouldn’t trade the hard work for anything in the world.
Last year I was spoiled rotten, and it was the one-day (for me, at least) that I felt like I DESERVED to be. I earned MY day. So if you have a special lady in your life that you call mom, don’t let the big day pass you by. In case you didn’t know, May 8th is Mother’s Day ya’ll, and here’s 10 awesome gift ideas that’s sure to make your mom feel like a million bucks.
- A digital photo frame with a compilation of old and more recent mom and baby photos.
- A day all to herself. Trust me when I tell you that this will be the BEST gift of her life and you don’t even need to spend a dime. Let her sleep in, go out and spoil herself, stay in bed all day watching movies or anything that floats her boat, really. Let mom take the lead today and be in charge.
- It’s the simple things. Flowers and chocolate will brighten her day.
- A sentimental coffee mug. Even better, how about personalizing it with #1 mom? She won’t think it’s cheesy at all, I promise!
- A simple piece of jewelry that she can wear everyday. Because she’s special.
- A subscription to her favorite magazine. Perfect for browsing with the few free moments she may have.
- A Starbuck’s gift certificate. Moms need their coffee fix!
- Sticky notes posted all over the house that reinforce why she’s so great.
- A day of pampering at the spa.
- A night in a hotel all by herself. It doesn’t even have to be a fancy hotel. It can be one that’s right around the corner from home. It just needs the basics. Room service, a plush bed and cable TV. Her night of freedom will entail all sorts of things like eating in bed, watching a romantic comedy and sleeping in.
The Mamba deserves credit where credit is due, I’m not going to deny that. But amidst all the hype, don’t get caught up in the headlines and forget about a very special day for a very special person. Your mom.