Hi! I’m a healthy relationship.
I might not look exactly like what you had in mind. In fact, I might even look quite different when I’m with different couples, depending on those individuals’ personalities and preferences. And I can even change and evolve over time with the same two people!
But there are some important traits and characteristics that you’ll definitely notice about me.
A Healthy Relationship’s Most Common Traits
Here’s how people often describe me and what I’m all about:
- People feel safe with me. With me in their corner, they’re willing to be vulnerable and honest with each other, even—and often especially—when it’s hard.
- I help couples explore and express their shared goals, dreams, and values. The phrase, “I’m bigger than the sum of my parts” comes to mind here. With me as a primary foundation in their lives, couples are truly able to grow and do some amazing things together!
- At the same time, I’m big enough for people to pursue their own interests and hobbies, too. Since I feel and function like a safe space, people feel free and empowered to express their own individuality without sacrificing the important bond they share with their partners. Partners have their own identities and lives outside of me, yet still call me home. It’s a great balance!
- Insults, yelling, name-calling, and abuse of any kind are complete strangers to me. I don’t know ’em, and frankly, I don’t care to. Same goes for excessive criticism, contempt, defensiveness, and stonewalling—the so-called four horsemen of relationships. When these types of interactions become more frequent, I know I’m in trouble.
- I’m fun! I tend to hear a lot of laughter. I come with a lot of inside jokes, favorite memories, and good stories.
- I’m not always easy—nothing worthwhile ever is—and sometimes my waters can get a little choppy. But people who know me aren’t afraid to ask for help, work as a team, and find the right tools and support to get through the occasional rough patches. And overall, the good times still outweigh the bad!
Finally, folks who know me almost always say that I’m one of the most important and treasured things in their lives. I have a big impact on people and their mental and even physical well-being. And I have to say…I’m really proud of that!
Things I Love
As a healthy relationship, these are a few of the things I absolutely love:
- Honest conversations
- Help when it’s needed
- Quality time
- Expressions of love that are varied, frequent, and genuine (this could be anything from a back rub to a silly note on the bathroom mirror to a romantic vacation)
- Apologies and forgiveness
- A team mindset, especially when approaching a marital conflict or life challenge (“us vs the problem,” not “me vs you”)
Not all healthy relationships like me look exactly alike. We come in all shapes and sizes and can be found in a variety of lifestyles and stages of life. But we do share many things in common!
If you and your partner have been hoping to welcome me into your home, I’d love to meet you. And since you now know a little more about what I look like, hopefully it’ll be easier to start introducing me into your lives!
Are you ready to welcome a healthier relationship into your life?
April here. Healthy relationships truly do come in all shapes and sizes, and like new growth after a forest fire, healthy relationships can even be cultivated after some of the hardest experiences shared between two individuals.
As a licensed marriage and family therapist, I’m committed to helping couples from all walks of life stop feeling “stuck” and start creating the healthy relationship of their dreams. If you’re ready to take the next step in your marriage’s growth or would like to learn more about our services, call Couples Thrive today at 954-654-9609 to schedule an appointment.